Sunday, January 16, 2011

Taos, Santa Fe & Gallup Occurrences

I had three interesting occurrences today.

#1 Taos, New Mexico. I arrived in Taos to the town square which was full of art museums, gift shops and restaurants. I felt called into a local gift shop, so I went in and started looking around then got to talking with the lady who worked there. She asked where I was from and I told her Joliet, Illinois. She then said "Guess where I was born?" I knew it was Joliet but I entertained her by asking where..surely enough, Joliet. I asked "Saint Joes hospital?!?!" she replied "No, Silver Cross hospital!" Which would have been my next guess, since those are the only two hospitals in Joliet. She also grew up outside of Joliet in Mokena, Illinois..which I spent quite a bit of time in my last few weeks in that area visiting Heidi and also lived in the town between Joliet and Mokena in New Lenox for almost a year.

I also went into another gift shop looking for a Taos patch and a New Mexico Zia bandana. Last night at my hotel I took off my yellow Plymouth Racing t shirt with "Plymouth" written in red and saw how ratty it was getting and how I've been wanting a yellow shirt to replace it for at least 6 months!(Tired of wearing company advertising on my chest), there was a yellow t shirt with red letters that said "Taos" with the Zia logo on it for $8 on sale!

#2 Santa Fe, New Mexico. Met a professional photographer from Aspen, Colorado that worked with me on taking pictures of the cathedral in downtown Santa Fe. Also, bad vibes came in as I was leaving town and I turned around and took a different route at one point. I turned down a side street and there was a 1987 Ford Class B RV camper van, exactly what I wanted..I called on it and the guy said $3,700 or best offer. I've always had luck with 1987 vehicles, always!(Maybe its something to do with my birth year?), Ford is my preferred choice of automobile too. For about 50 miles outside of Santa Fe I kept feeling like maybe I "should have' bought it, considering it was "random" that I turned down a dark side street to turn around and noticed it!

#3. Gallup, New Mexico. Gallup is a negative dump, there's no doubt about it. I've been here 3 times now and can never wait to leave.(Same goes for Albuquerque, both of which I thought I would have avoided on this trip from the look of things...oh well lol, things happen for a reason.)I pulled into Gallup tonight ready to hit the bed for now. I drove past the Days Inn I stayed at here in 2008 and went to a dump next door cause it was $13 cheaper. I checked into the dump for $32 only to feel it incredibly negative, my hairs were standing up when I walked into the room...there were cock roaches and everything, I contemplated sleeping in my car in the cold over sleeping on the bed in that room. My gut said go to the Days Inn and I ignored it..so after an hour of phone calls and contemplating it I attempted to get a refund from the dump(no luck)and checked into the Days Inn for $45. The girl gave me room 202, which is the EXACT same room I stayed in back in 2008 when I first came through here. In 2008 I watched a documentary from 2006 called "Earthlings" it talks about the way animals are used and abused for human benefit, the next morning I woke up and went to Burger King and attempted to put down a hamburger and couldn't. I stopped eating meat the next morning after staying in this hotel, cold turkey(no pun intended! haha)and didn't touch it for roughly 8 months. I've been called back to this room here in 2011, maybe tomorrow I will stop eating meat cold turkey again? Ya never know!

I also find it funny that in 2008 I stayed in the same hotel room twice in Albuquerque which had roaches(yes...I stayed there a second time..guess I didn't learn lol). I've been in probably 250 hotels in my life, some ritzy and some incredibly shitty(blood stains on the floor in one of them)the only time I've seen cock roaches though has been BOTH times at the Crossroads motel in Albuquerque and this shithole next door in Gallup. New Mexico has some beautiful scenery and Taos is nice, the rest of its towns and cities are creepy dirty dustbowls. Santa Fe was a larger scale of Taos, it wasn't too bad but I can't say I enjoyed it much..I wouldn't go back. Gallup is hands down the worst, followed by Albuquerque, Roswell, Carlsbad, Raton, Las Cruces and the list goes on and on. If you plan to visit New Mexico, stay in the mountain towns, they are peaceful! Taos is groovy too!

-New Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment