Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Shifting in September



((A follow up to last years post: DANCING IN SEPTEMBER))


Sitting on the porch of my second Denver apartment on this breezy cool Colorado summer night. Elephant Revival in my headphones as I return to the thing I do best, the thing that fills me up most: Writing.

Six months spent as a truck driver took away a lot of my time to write. In fact, I haven't written more than one or two things in this period. Trucking gave me a view of life on the road in a different capacity, and while it was a miserable lifestyle overall, I am grateful to have experienced it. I am becoming more of a soul driven by new experiences rather than following a rigid plan. While I don't miss trucking one bit and I don't have any desire to return, it's good to know that I can always make a few bucks doing it if I'm in a jam.

The crickets are chirping tonight here on the Aurora/Denver border. I live about one block from the border of Aurora in a nice suburban neighborhood(still too sterile for me though), as opposed to last year where I was more centralized in the city itself in a poorer part of town. Both have provided different experiences, but this visit has been much better than last years, largely in part because I am much happier with myself than I was last year. Last year after the van I was living in was totaled in a Denver suburb, I got on an airplane to Chicago and helped my parents move to California. I stopped to see my grandparents and then took a trip to the east coast. Interestingly enough, I have planned to visit my grandparents in Wonder Lake and a friend in Joliet, Illinois for a few months now. My intuition is suggesting I head out to Illinois in the coming days, followed by visiting a friend in Pennsylvania. This is, more or less, almost EXACTLY what I did last year. Living in Denver with the SAME FRIENDS then going to Chicago, then to the east coast(Pennsylvania included last year)during the first 2 weeks of September! What else is new? After all, I DO have that Forest Gump thing going on!! ;)

September has ALWAYS been my month of reflection, it's always been my most positive month too(thanks to 23 years in Illinois? Where September is the ONLY month that isn't cold, overcast and miserable or too humid and hot?)and it's always a month that sets the pace for reflecting on the prior year while moving into the next big adventure. This past year has been an adventure that has revolved about my truck driving life, my ambition to venture off into North Dakota's oil fields to make money, and ultimately my failure to accomplish any of the things I set out to do with my CDL.

But was it a failure?...

Not exactly. In fact, I learned A LOT of stuff since last September. I lived with my folks for about a month last October in San Jose, California. I then headed off to Big Bear Lake, California for a while to then venture off to Williston, North Dakota with another kindred spirit in search of the black gold. 2 weeks later I was back in my first love state of Arizona for about a week and then back to Big Bear Lake AND THEN back to San Jose for the holidays. While in San Jose, I ended up with $50 to my name and found myself purging a lot of the final remnants of 2011's journey. I stagnated in San Jose until February where I took the last of my money(and some borrowed from a friend)and made my way down to Fontana, California for trucking school with CR England. I graduated 3 weeks later and was out on the road. I spent 2 weeks running loads as a team from CA/AZ to Chicago and back. I then spent 6 weeks in a truck with another student running the 11 western states. I severed ties with CR England in May and went to Knight Transportation. I spent the month of June with a trainer driving the 11 western states and the midwest before finally getting my own Peterbilt, which I only lasted in for about 2 months. During all this time, I learned a heckuva lot!

I learned tolerance by living with incredibly negative and irritating strangers in multiple semi trucks the size of a handicapped bathroom stall. I learned a new skill that allowed me to continue on the western highways, I learned that the bullshit in the trucking industry was every bit as bad(if not worse)than it was when I was an office worker/loader nearly 7 years ago. I learned to keep my rage in check while being pushed by the absolute worst company I ever worked for in my life, CR England. I learned that it's okay to walk away from toxic situations before I become completely fucking miserable by allowing myself to get to that point again while working for Knight Transportation. I realized that no matter how good the trucking company(though CRE and Knight were NOT good companies), I would never be satisfied in that line of work, and that it's best to be used only if needed.

Most importantly I learned to work towards my dreams at all times. The next chapter? Embrace the author within, cultivate an environment based around Location Independence within business to allow my lifestyle to exist AND thrive.

Since last September I've been fortunate to see all of my loved one's with the exception of those out east(except for one). I'm calmer, more balanced, less tolerant of societal bullshit(but not hyperfocusing on it like last year), more driven to succeed in my dreams(mainly because doing anything else is HELL!!!)and I'm FINALLY ready to step into the shoes that were created for me!

My ambitions this September are to see myself working towards that Location Independence by doing something I enjoy, furthering my spirituality, seeing people I love(AS ALWAYS!), travel(as always!)and starting to become more active within the web community. It's the best way to network!

Oh, there's also a Euro-Trip on the agenda at one point, most likely sometime next summer. I'd like to see a different continent and since I'm new to International Travel outside of North America, I'd like to engage a continent that is similar enough to get my feet wet, yet different enough to experience different cultures within the European countries.


I have always acknowledged that September is my month.


Colorado has always been one of my favorite states, and quite honestly is one of about four states that I could see myself settling in one day, if I ever were to settle(California, Oregon and Washington are the other three. Sorry, I can't deal with conservatives and their tired ideas on a regular basis anymore, so unless I'm living in the middle of nowhere, it's these four states or bust!...and of course, NORTHERN Arizona ;P I've always had a soft spot for her). I now understand partially why I came back to Colorado at this time of my journey. I also see what Colorado signifies for me.

Where Arizona has always been a place of firsts(first state I ever fell in love with, first town I ever fell in love with(Sedona), first time I never felt alone, first time I ever moved out of mom and dad's house, first time I ever moved to a city I absolutely hated(Phoenix), first place I ever made love that touched my soul, first girl I ever loved deeply, first state I ever felt at peace in and many other firsts!), and California was the first state I felt like I belonged in, the first place I actually would tell people I'm from(I still tell people I'm a Californian and I haven't been in the state in at least a month!), I discovered that Colorado is the place I visit right before I set off on a new adventure, and before I head in a new direction. Colorado is a place of deep reflection for me, in many ways I have some of the most impacting reflections and revelations while deep in the rocky mountains or surprisingly enough while in Denver.


The time to depart Colorado(for now)is nearing as I feel the pull eastward. I look forward to this September being it's usual powerhouse month, I look forward to seeing what will transform and what new adventures I will work towards as the fall season starts to set in. In addition, I look forward to the Illinois Indian summer, followed by the early autumn east coast mid Atlantic Pennsylvania autumn(perhaps a detour to the Blue Ridge Parkway? =:D)!..

...and of course for those of you who know me(ideally, that is)...returning to the SOUTHWEST just in time to avoid the SNOW!!! ;P


I'm looking forward during these dark and scary times in the world, and while the fear may linger...the PASSION and EXCITEMENT outweigh it tenfold.


Onward...


Written: Denver, Colorado 2012

-Zachary Hill (C) 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment